Friday, March 9, 2012

Bones

I love Kate Nash.




I love that she looks like a real person, and that her accent is strongly audible in her songs (even though it aggravates my accent envy).  One moment she can be hilariously funny, and the next moment poignant and sad.  My favorite song of hers is definitely "The Skeleton Song."




I adore how it begins catchy and upbeat, spirals into macabre madness, and ends with bittersweet self-acceptance.  It's a journey that resonates with the meandering swirls of my own imagination.


It's been said that this song is about Kate's struggle with anorexia, and I can definitely relate to the body-battle imagery.  I've spent the majority of my life despising my body and trying to change it, often in blatantly destructive and unhealthy ways.  


Strangely enough, learning about anatomy (especially my skeleton) has helped me to make peace with my body in a way I've never been able to before.  And practicing yoga.  Yoga helps lots.   Anyway, my skeleton is my friend now, and I do what I can to take care of it.  


On that note, here's a sartorial celebration of the glory of human anatomy!




I love these cartoon bones!  Adorable, but slightly morbid.  Totally my style!  It's also available in red.  




I am an Etsy addict.  I admit it.  I just received a necklace from this vendor (Lost Apostle) in the mail today, similar to the picture below, but in bronze.  It is so gorgeous, I had to put it on immediately!




This vendor has lots of beautiful anatomy-inspired designs, including skulls (human and animal), anatomical heart pendants, and other assorted goodness.  


If bones and skulls are too bare for your tastes, you could spring for something meatier in the form of these unique leggings:

These have already gotten quite a bit of attention on the internet, and have generated a lot of different responses.  I think they're beautiful in their celebration of the human body.  And they're the next logical step up from x-ray leggings.  


These leggings are no longer in production.  However, they do have a swimsuit!




The people over at Black Milk must have a lot of fun designing these things.  Any company that decides to make an R2-D2 swimsuit must be good people.

Of course, my favorite use of skeleton overlay will always be Donnie Darko:
"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

Classic.


Of course, you may be looking for a more subtle nod to human anatomy than any of the above.  If so, these ribcage flats are just the thing:

At $200, these are a little on the pricey side, but they're lovingly handmade by a team of 3.  Also, I have no qualms about investing in interesting items from small designers, especially when the product is something I'll wear all the time.  I just ordered a pair of these on OpenSky.  They were on sale on Alicia Silverstone's page for $160.  Since I'd been debating on buying some for months now, I jumped at the chance to get them at a discount.  I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment